As the Stray Day Tour guide in Auckland I am constantly asked “what would you recommend to do in Auckland?”. After living in this city for the last 18 years I have come up with 5 easy activities to make your time in Auckland that much better…….
1) Go up the Sky Tower. It’s very touristy but even so, the views are breathtaking. Go half an hour before sunset, enjoy a coffee, get a discount by showing your Auckland hostel key card ($15 – save $11!)
2) Jump on a Fullers Ferry and head to Rangitoto, the youngest of the 48 – 53 volcanoes in the Auckland region. Catch the 9:15am ferry, hike to the summit (268m!) and return by 4pm. Just remember to take good footwear with you, your lunch, water and a rain jacket. ($30 at the ferry kiosk, bottom of Queen st, or pop to the Stray office on Fort st for a nice surprise!).
3) Again see Fullers Ferries to visit the 3rd must do, Waiheke Island. Situated 35 minutes by ferry from Auckland this is known as the “Wine Island” of Auckland. Here you can hop on the ‘hop on hop off’ buses around the island, hire a bike, car or scooter or simply wander round the beautiful beaches on foot. It is a populated island, unlike it’s neighbour Rangitoto and has over 17 vineyards to explore! ($36 from Fullers, wine tasting from free to $2 per tasting depending on vineyard and wine).
4) The next spot to visit is Mission Bay, a short bus ride from the bottom of the city around the waterfront. If you’re feeling particularly fit you could even bike it or walk it. At mission bay you’ll find relaxed restaurants and cafes, parks and a beach. Grab fish and chips or an ice cream and enjoy the sand between your toes.
5) Finally if you are the adventurous type and want a taste of what Stray is all about you can jump on the Stray City Day Tour. It is a great way to see some sights, meet some other travellers and get great deals for traveling around the country (Runs in the summer months only).